HF on an IMac

Optical microscopes + digital photography
Stephan Wolfsried

HF on an IMac

Post by Stephan Wolfsried »

I just bought a brand new Nikon D810 body and do my stacks now with 36 MPixels each picture. To overcome the data volume and time consumption issue (one hour for processing a 200 picture stack is not practicable) I bought an IMac with i7 processor and 32 Gbyte RAM, installed HF for Mac and must learn, that the retouching function doesn't work at all. The rerence to the actual picure out of the stack which is shown in the windows version when moving over the result picture is totally missing. Using the Mac version of HF for me therefore impossible.
Then I turned back to Windows by installing Parallels and downloading the actual HF Release 6.2. First of all retouching works in principle, but the sensitiveness of the mouse is bar far too high. Also loading a complete folder in the stack is now very complicated. And the scroll wheel of the mouse now controls the zoom. That is not useful, because when retouching I use the scroll wheel for controling the brush radius. This one has to be varied very often, the zoom factor by far more seldom. Please do me the favor and get back to the behaviour of HF Rel. 5.2, which I now actually use and with which I am very satisfied.

Stephan
Stas Yatsenko

Re: HF on an IMac

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Helicon Focus 6.x has the same functionality on Mac and Windows so you should be able to use retouching on both platforms. If this is not so, please contact our support (support@heliconsoft.com) and help us to locate and fix the bug.

You can change brush size using Ctrl/Cmd + MouseWheel. You can see other shortcuts in the tooltips for the sliders and buttons as well as in the help file.
Stephan Wolfsried

Hi Stas,

the problem seems to be the apple magic mouse. With a Logitech wired mouse it is like You say. The mouse sensitiveness in the play field when retouching is also high with the wired mouse, but it is feasible. With the magic mouse no way.

Stephan
Stephan Wolfsried

Stas,

I tried HF 6.2.0 under windows and with the advices You gave me the retouching functionality is quite o.k.

The picture under OS-X is different:
The good thing is, that the sensitivity of the magic mouse is o.k., wired mouse as well. Ctrl and scroll wheel also controls the zoom, not the brush size. No way to control the brush size with the mouse. Must be a bug.
Brush hardness is far too hard, even at 0%.

With the good experience with HF 6.2.0 I tried quit the virtual machine, but I will have to wait until You fix those bugs.

I have a further suggestion: If I have e.g. a 200 picture stack in a folder a double click on the folder should load the whole stack in the source directory. There was such functionality in Rel 5.2. Loading that in the actual possible way is time consuming and not comfortable.
And the folder where to save a final output picture should be the default value the next time (last mode). Actually I have to go down in my directory from the top every time, which is very nasty.

Thank You for caring about,

Stephan
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Thanks for your suggestions, Stephan.

We will try to fix those bugs in the coming versions.