Page 1 of 1

Latest 6.6.0 horribly slow on Mac

Posted: 04.03.2016 01:39
by pwnell
I see there are supposedly some multi CPU performance enhancements in 6.6.0 - but it killed performance for me on my 6 core Xeon Mac Pro. CPU runs 1000% (most of that is kernel time). It takes approximately 10 times as long to render a DNG stack. During this time my mac is very unresponsive.
Left CPU spike is render with 6.5.2, right is render with 6.6.0.  Only 1/4 processed...
Left CPU spike is render with 6.5.2, right is render with 6.6.0. Only 1/4 processed...
Screen Shot 2016-03-03 at 15.37.53.png (11.3 KiB) Viewed 10479 times

Re: Latest 6.6.0 horribly slow on Mac

Posted: 04.03.2016 14:32
by Stas Yatsenko
There were lots of changes between 6.5.2 and 6.6.0. More than one might have contributed to this issue.
Here are two variations of the program. Can you please see if they behave the same or differently?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_uKrE ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_uKrE ... sp=sharing

Re: Latest 6.6.0 horribly slow on Mac

Posted: 04.03.2016 18:49
by pwnell
Nope both behave pretty much the same - 10 seconds between images, whereas 6.5.2 takes 3 seconds. This is with DNG in DNG out.

Re: Latest 6.6.0 horribly slow on Mac

Posted: 07.03.2016 11:08
by Stas Yatsenko
Then I have no idea what might have caused it.
Could you please see if there's a difference between 6.5.2 and 6.6 when processing JPEGs?

Re: Latest 6.6.0 horribly slow on Mac

Posted: 07.03.2016 19:23
by pwnell
Sure. With Jpeg images 6.6 is only about 10% slower than 6.5.2 with jpeg.

With DNG 6.6 is about 1000% slower than 6.5.2.

See graph below. The left part is 6.6 rendering 33 x 20MP Jpeg images. Notice the system CPU usage (red). On the right, it shows 6.5.2 rendering that same stack (i ran it twice to eliminate disk reads / caching). Note the lower system CPU usage (red) and higher actual application CPU usage (blue) meaning it is doing more actual work and less system calls. Maybe that helps?
Screen Shot 2016-03-07 at 09.19.46.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-07 at 09.19.46.png (7.78 KiB) Viewed 10349 times

Re: Latest 6.6.0 horribly slow on Mac

Posted: 09.03.2016 16:14
by Stas Yatsenko
So far we can't say what's wrong, but since it has to do with raw files, I would suspect the raw decoder. Which decoder/converter do you use? Either way, switch to a different one (e. g. DCRAW <-> Adobe DNG).
Also, try this new version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_uKrE ... sp=sharing

Re: Latest 6.6.0 horribly slow on Mac

Posted: 09.03.2016 19:01
by pwnell
Why? I am using Adobe's DNG converter and it works perfectly on 6.5.2. I am not willing to switch to a different RAW converter - I'd rather stick to 6.5.2 for the rest of time :)

I stacked with 6.6.1 and 6.5.2 using DNG. For 6.6.1 the stack took 5:39. For 6.5.2 it took 4:23, thus 28% slower. See CPU below - left is for 6.6.1, right is for 6.5.2.

I must also note that during the 6.6.1 rendering, the Helicon Focus UI was completely frozen (beachball). With 6.5.2 it was not and I could perform various other tasks in Helicon Focus while it was rendering.
Screen Shot 2016-03-09 at 08.58.05.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-09 at 08.58.05.png (7.3 KiB) Viewed 10262 times

Re: Latest 6.6.0 horribly slow on Mac

Posted: 10.03.2016 12:04
by Stas Yatsenko
Yes, I realize you were using the same DNG converter for both Focus versions.
Thanks for the information, we'll give it further thought.