Newbie advice using a 5D Mk2 on an Olympus SZ6045

Optical microscopes + digital photography
BryceM

Newbie advice using a 5D Mk2 on an Olympus SZ6045

Post by BryceM »

This is my first venture into any macro / micro photography and I am struggling.
I am trying to image some volcanic ash particles as part of my PhD studies. The particles are in the range of 1 mm diameter. The setup I have is an Olympus SZ6045 binocular microscope which has a third photography tube. I have the Olympus photo tube attached and a EOS to OM adapter at the top to take up the focal length difference.
The setup is exactly as described here http://www.alanwood.net/photography/oly ... scope.html

The images and stacks I am getting do not seem anything like the quality I am seeing on the forums here and elsewhere. I am using EOS Utilities Liveview on my laptop to control the camera and have set Mode 1 in the Live view settings to reduce shake. However I cannot seem to be able to achieve a sharp focus at any point in the zoomed Live view image.

Can anyone suggest a diagnosis route or improvement suggestions? I have attached a sample stack - 17 jpg images at large size (5616 × 3744).
2016-08-11 11-09-12 (C).jpg
(9.74 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Newbie advice using a 5D Mk2 on an Olympus SZ6045

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

If your original images are sharp and should be usable for focus stacking (in other words, if the problem is with Helicon Focus) then please send a sample stack for study.
BryceM

Post by BryceM »

Hi Stas,

I have sent a stack link to the "support" e-mail address. I don't think it is a software issue but I am hoping someone on the forum may have some ideas where I can look for sharpness problems.

Thanks

Bryce
DrPsyche

Post by DrPsyche »

BryceM wrote:
I'm trying to work with the volcanic ash particles for my PhD thesis...

----
Text is auto hidden
essaydune
Hello Bryce,
Do you have your PhD research publication to share? I'm using an LM adapter to attach the Olympus E5 to my microscope. We're doing an academic project with my students at the University of Antwerp (2 groups of students involved in the Palaeontology and Geology courses). I will publish the final results here.