Now that the WU-1a has been out for a few months, and people running Nikon's flakey and almost worthless software on their androids have become disgusted with it, are there any plans to develop support for this wireless module for HR for Android?
There are a couple of other programs that are working on the support, but they have a different feel than HR for Android does, which I just don't like as well.
Since this basically turns the D7100, D3200 and other models into a wireless hotspot for connecting a tablet (or even a laptop, I would wager.) this could easily turn the tablet into a wireless tethered solution for anyone with either the 1a or the 1b and a tablet.
Thanks!
WU-1A and wireless control
- Stas Yatsenko
- Posts: 3833
- Joined: 06.05.2009 15:05
- Contact:
Re: WU-1A and wireless control
We've just finished working on a new version of Helicon Remote that supports Nikon WT-4 and WT-5 wireless modules. We'll release this version soon (as soon as documentation for the new functions is ready). However, we don't have any WU-1 cameras, so it's still a mistery whether Remote will work with this module without further modifications. If you have such a camera - you're welcome to try the new version, just give us a word.
Re: WU-1A and wireless control
I'm the original poster. Glitch with the name on my first post.
Do the WT-4 and WT-5 act as a wireless access point when they are mounted on the camera? The WU-1a actually has a SSID that it broadcasts (or not, depending on how you set up the software the first time you connect to it with a tablet using Nikon's software.) and can have varying levels of encryption. (also set up through the Nikon software.)
As I don't have either of these units, I am unfamiliar with them.
The WU-1a, once you are connected to it, then can either send a live view image to the tablet or allow you to preview photos on the card. It uses the embedded jpg's on raw files. You cannot change any exposure parameters once you make the connection. basically you have to disconnect make changes, reconnect, rinse, repeat... for any shooting you do while wirelessly tethered. Other software that uses this connection appear to allow full control and can even make changes on the camera and have those changes reflected on the tablet. If the WT-4 and WT-5 operate in a similar manner then it might be possible to use the WU-1a/b with this change.
I want to stress though, I'm asking about the android version as I seldom pack my laptop when I'm shooting tethered. On the rare instances I have it with, I'm still using tablet just from ease of carrying/size and convenience. The PC version is, for me, a nice to have available, but isn't really part of my workflow.
Mike
Do the WT-4 and WT-5 act as a wireless access point when they are mounted on the camera? The WU-1a actually has a SSID that it broadcasts (or not, depending on how you set up the software the first time you connect to it with a tablet using Nikon's software.) and can have varying levels of encryption. (also set up through the Nikon software.)
As I don't have either of these units, I am unfamiliar with them.
The WU-1a, once you are connected to it, then can either send a live view image to the tablet or allow you to preview photos on the card. It uses the embedded jpg's on raw files. You cannot change any exposure parameters once you make the connection. basically you have to disconnect make changes, reconnect, rinse, repeat... for any shooting you do while wirelessly tethered. Other software that uses this connection appear to allow full control and can even make changes on the camera and have those changes reflected on the tablet. If the WT-4 and WT-5 operate in a similar manner then it might be possible to use the WU-1a/b with this change.
I want to stress though, I'm asking about the android version as I seldom pack my laptop when I'm shooting tethered. On the rare instances I have it with, I'm still using tablet just from ease of carrying/size and convenience. The PC version is, for me, a nice to have available, but isn't really part of my workflow.
Mike
- Stas Yatsenko
- Posts: 3833
- Joined: 06.05.2009 15:05
- Contact:
Re: WU-1A and wireless control
We don't actually know whether WT-4 and WT-5 have AP mode, we've only connected them to our existing wi-fi AP.
Are you sure it's AP mode that Wu-1 offers and not ad-hoc mode, though? WT modules support ad-hoc as well. Anyway, it shouldn't matter much. What matters is the protocol that WU-1 supports, and whether it's the same as for WT modules or different. If you feel like testing, we can give you mac or Windows version. If it'll work, Android version will work, too.
Are you sure it's AP mode that Wu-1 offers and not ad-hoc mode, though? WT modules support ad-hoc as well. Anyway, it shouldn't matter much. What matters is the protocol that WU-1 supports, and whether it's the same as for WT modules or different. If you feel like testing, we can give you mac or Windows version. If it'll work, Android version will work, too.