Landscape Photography

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
Post Reply
bdsmalleyphoto
Posts: 2
Joined: 18.04.2012 07:47

Landscape Photography

Post by bdsmalleyphoto »

Can Helicon Remote be successfully used for landscape photography or is it geared only toward macro photography?
User avatar
Stas Yatsenko
Posts: 3833
Joined: 06.05.2009 15:05
Contact:

Re: Landscape Photography

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Helicon Remote can be used for landscape photography too. Although landscape shots only require 2 or 3 images to cover full depth of field and these shots can be made by manually rotating focusing ring.

Helicon Remote can also be used for HDR, time lapse and soon for panorama shooting and geotagging (Android version).
RzB
Posts: 14
Joined: 13.07.2008 20:57

Re: Landscape Photography

Post by RzB »

Hmm - I did not have very much success with this.

I was hoping that I could get some flora in the foreground and the landscape in the background both in focus.

I just used 2 shots - but it really didn't work. Not surprising really as I think Helicon had to make up quite a bit of information that it probably didn't have.

Have other had success with this? Is there some trick that I'm missing?

NB - I'm a real novice when it comes to Helicon!

RzB
User avatar
Stas Yatsenko
Posts: 3833
Joined: 06.05.2009 15:05
Contact:

Re: Landscape Photography

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Foreground object may mask the background when it comes out of focus. This is optical effect and the only way to minize it is to use smaller aperture (f16). Even with F16 you will need several shots to cover DOF from macro to infinity.
RzB
Posts: 14
Joined: 13.07.2008 20:57

Re: Landscape Photography

Post by RzB »

Stas Yatsenko wrote:Foreground object may mask the background when it comes out of focus. This is optical effect and the only way to minize it is to use smaller aperture (f16). Even with F16 you will need several shots to cover DOF from macro to infinity.
Yes - I guess it also doesn't help if the foreground plants are moving slightly in the breeze!
User avatar
Stas Yatsenko
Posts: 3833
Joined: 06.05.2009 15:05
Contact:

Re: Landscape Photography

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Yes, shooting moving objects is a big problem. One possible solution is to shoot several images for each layer and then remove moving objects from each layer before processing in Helicon Focus. I did not used this technique though, it is just a thought.
Post Reply